The flavors of the meal hint of Moroccan cuisine to me. It wasn’t until Brion & I visited Morocco on a holiday one year, that I realized how many of their spices appealed to me.
Moroccan cuisine is very refined because of its interactions and exchanges with other cultures and nations over the centuries. Its dishes are layered with sweet and spicy, earthy and bright flavors that reflect the vast array of spices available in their local markets.
Often referred to as the national dish of Morocco, couscous is made of tiny balls of wheat semolina, steamed so they’re are soft and fluffy. Subtle cumin and ginger spices add an exotic flavor to it.
Pairing apricot and lemon flavors with the chicken breast and serving it over couscous makes this simple meal quite special.
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 cup Original Bisquick mix
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp EACH cumin & ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp liquid honey
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups couscous,
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp fresh parsley (or 2 1/4 tsp dried)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Beat egg & water slightly. Stir together baking mix, lemon pepper & garlic powder. Pound chicken breasts gently to achieve uniform thickness. Dip chicken into egg mixture, then coat with baking mix mixture. Place on baking sheet & drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake uncovered 20 minutes; turn chicken. Bake about 10 minutes longer until no longer pink inside. While chicken is baking prepare couscous & sauce.
- In a saucepan, heat 1 tsp oil; add green onion, cumin, ginger & garlic. Cook & stir for about 3 minutes until green onion is softened.
- Add honey. Heat & stir for about 30 seconds until green onion is coated. Add broth. Bring to a boil. Add couscous & second amount of oil. Stir. Cover & remove from heat. Allow to stand for 5 minutes without lifting lid. Fluff with a fork & stir in remaining 3 ingredients.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine sauce ingredients, stirring occasionally, until warm.
- Place couscous on a serving platter. Top with chicken breasts & drizzle with apricot lemon sauce. Serve.